Detector dog – A Talking Dogs Scentwork® Manual
Next spring sees the release of a great new book that just might turn your pooch into a genuine sniffer hound …
Author Pam Mackinnon has been a professional dog trainer for almost 30 years. An ex-dog handler for HM Customs, a trainer for Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, and now the behaviourist for Wood Green Animal Shelters (not to mention puppy trainer for Dr Ian Dunbar), Pam now focusses exclusively on scentwork.
Combining her practical and behavioural skills, Pam founded Talking Dogs Scentwork®, the UK's most successful scentwork training programme that teaches all dogs to become detector dogs.
In Detector dog, Pam takes you through each stage of scentwork, beginning with introducing your dog to a specific scent, starter searches, and on to advanced work, both indoors and out.
Brain training beats boring walks every time, and aided by illustrations and full-colour photographs of many different breeds at work, Detector dog opens up a whole new world of activities for you and your dog to enjoy together … an endlessly rewarding process for dog and owner: positively addictive!
Detector dog is due in April 2017, and features …
- Training techniques suitable for all dogs – not just working dogs
- An emphasis on working in co-operation with your dog: true teamwork!
- Clear, coherent and comprehensive breakdown of how to teach scentwork
- Dedicated to searching for specific scents, rather than confusing a dog with tracking
- Scent teams are taken on a journey, from starter to advanced searches
- Addresses handling skills front and centre as keys to success
- Includes a great variety of ideas for searches, indoors and out
- Technical and practical explanations for searching in specific ways
- Reveals how safe searching is integral to good scentwork practice
- Based on operational skills combined with training and behavioural knowledge
Detector dog – A Talking Dogs Scentwork® ManualDetector dog guides you through the steps that will help you teach your dog how to detect a particular scent, no matter where it's found. Hidden in a bag, under a sofa, on a car, or up a tree, searching for this scent will turn your dog's favourite pastime into your favourite hobby.
HH4963 • Paperback • 22x17cm • £12.99 • 112 pages • 79 colour and b&w pictures • ISBN: 978-1-845849-63-4 • UPC: 6-36847-04963-8
Visit the Hubble & Hattie website for further details